Skip to content

Health insurance

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) Students studying and working in Europe (e.g. within the Erasmus+ programme will need to have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The EHIC can be used to cover any necessary medical treatment due to either an accident or illness within the European Economic Area (EEA).

The card is free to obtain and entitles the holder to state-provided medical treatment within the country they are visiting and the service provided will be the same as that received by a person covered by the country's 'insured' medical scheme. This may not cover all of the services you would expect within the UK and you may have to make a contribution towards the care you receive.

The EHIC must be valid for the entire stay abroad. For further information and to apply for / renew an EHIC card for a study placement, visit the NHS website, to apply for / renew an EHIC card for work / travel, visit

The University strongly recommends that students also take out an additional insurance policy for their time in Europe.

Health Insurance Plan

All students completing a placement outside Europe will need to purchase health insurance. As a minimum, an insurance policy should cover accident and illness, medical evacuation and repatriation. The details of health cover will vary depending on your host country.

Students going to the US or Australia will have to purchase health insurance for the duration of their exchange. This is a condition for obtaining a student visa in these countries. Insurance is normally purchased through the host university as part of the application process, although a private policy can sometimes be substituted. Details can be found on individual host university websites.  Where health insurance plans are mandatory through the host university, you agree to purchase of this plan when accepting your exchange place.