From its beginnings as a normal school that trained teachers for the developing frontier, SJSU has matured into a metropolitan university offering more than 145 areas of study with an additional 108 concentrations. Located on 154 acres in downtown San Jose, the university offers the excitement of studying at a large, metropolitan campus where many cultures meet.
San Jose is a newly revitalized city which hosts major sports, the arts, museums and restaurants serving a wide variety of cuisines. From serving as the first state capital of California to becoming the Capital of Silicon Valley, San José has distinguished itself as a city with a pioneering past and enterprising future. Silicon Vally is home to Google, Facebook, Apple, Adobe, Cisco, Ebay, Netflix, and Intel. We are the third largest city in California, after Los Angeles and San Diego. It’s only a short drive to some of the best known destinations in northern California. We are just 45mins from Santa Cruz, 1 hour from San Francisco, 50 mins from Oakland/Berkley, 2 hours from Napa Valley (wine country), and four hours from Yosemite National Park. Northern California is built for outdoor and adventure enthusiasts! Our Mediterranean climate has an average temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15.5 degrees Celsius) and an average of 300 days of sunshine per year. San Jose hosts a wide variety of Festivals, Fairs, and Sporting and Cultural events open to the public throughout the year. For example each spring, we host an International Film Festival (Cinequest Film Festival) downtown for two weeks that draws in over 100,000 attendees each year. Check out the list below for ways to explore the city:
Fun Things to Do Near SJSU
- Go to a San Jose Sharks ice hockey game.
- See a play at the San Jose Repertory Theater.
- Watch a San Jose State University Spartans Football game.
- Explore the San Jose's Tech Museum and watch an Imax movie.
- Have fun at Paramount's Great America amusement park.
- Shop at the Bay Area Great Mall , Valley Fair Mall and Santana Row.
- Learn about the ancient past at the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum.
- Visit the San Jose Museum of Art and see creative works of art.
- Discover California history at the Winchester Mystery House
Autumn: August – December
Spring: January – May
||Approximate Costs (one semester
|Housing and Food
|Books and Supplies
Housing is not guaranteed by the university and it is the student’s responsibility to secure their own housing. Make sure you apply as soon as possible!
Students should choose modules that are in the 100-199 division and select a total of 12-15 credits.
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority: http://www.vta.org/
- Bay Area Trains: http://www.caltrain.com/
- Bay Area Rapid Transit: http://www.bart.gov/
- San Jose City website: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.asp
- SJSU Welcome to California webpage: http://bit.ly/1ewiA8o
- Things to do in San Jose: http://www.sanjose.org/
- Finding off-campus housing, bikes, etc.: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/
- More off-campus housing options: http://www.zillow.com/
- Reviews of restaurants and more: http://www.yelp.com/
- Global Student Network: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Student-Network-at-SJSU/380944155352781